Question:
why is not possible for us to live on the moon?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
why is not possible for us to live on the moon?
Five answers:
bandangela
2006-02-02 21:06:45 UTC
There is no atmoshere so we wouldn't be protected for the sun's rays
Shera
2006-02-02 18:55:52 UTC
It will be decades before space travel becomes common or affordable. While some millionaires can afford a trip to the International Space Station, most people don't have the $20 million that Russia is charging for a visit. The main problem of going to space is that the U.S., Russia, and Europe use disposable launch vehicles. The rocket is used once to put people or a payload into orbit, but then it burns up in Earth's atmosphere after the rocket runs out of fuel. Imagine how expensive it would be to buy a new car for every trip to the grocery store! The U.S. Space Shuttles are reusable, but it is very expensive to repair and ready them each time for launch, so the problem isn't really solved. NASA and other organizations are working on newer launch vehicles but it will be a few years before we see them fly.

Another problem of going to space is that you must bring everything with you: the air, the water, the food. Imagine going to a place that doesn't have any air or water, and nothing grows. Once you arrive, you can't just step out and take a breath of fresh air!
pinkytoe10
2006-02-02 18:49:37 UTC
Because there is no water there, nor is there any oxygen. If you'll recall, we need both of those things to live. It is possible, however, that one day we could colonize it, using "domes" filled with an earth like eco system. Right now, though, theres plenty of room on the earth, and coloznizing the moon would be over elaborate and way too expensive. Look for it in the next couple of centuries.
mara
2006-02-02 18:50:55 UTC
It is possible, but we would have to construct a suitable environment, and figure out how to get water and breathable air.
sparkle_eye
2006-02-02 10:50:29 UTC
This is what we knew about the moon already. The moon goes around the earth about once every 28 days, and a lunar day is also 28 (earth) days long. That means that the sun is in the sky for two whole weeks, then the lunar daytime is followed by two weeks of lunar nighttime. With all that sunlight, it gets really hot during the lunar day (about 250° F/121° C), and it gets really cold during the lunar night (about -250° F/-156° C). There is only the tiniest, tiniest bit of an atmosphere on the moon, but it's so thin, most people would say there's no atmosphere there at all. It's too thin to breathe, airplanes won't work in it, parachutes won't work in it, meteors and rockets won't slow down in it, and there are no clouds or weather in it. The dirt on the moon is a mix of rocks and a lot of really fine dust, and it's made of almost the same chemicals as dirt on Earth. The moon's gravity is 1/6th as strong as earth's gravity. If you can jump two feet (0.6 meters) high on earth, you'ld be able to jump about 12 feet (3.6 meters) high on the moon!

Even though we only knew a little about the moon, we knew a whole lot about being rodents. We live in the same kind of an environment that people do: we need fresh air and water, and the temperature can't be too hot or too cold -- around room temperature (68° F/20° C) is about the best. We like to eat mostly plants and grains. We don't need quite as much water as people do, but we still need enough to drink. Here's what NASA decided a grown person needed each day to breathe, eat, drink, and stay clean and healthy on a Space Station:

Oxygen 0.83 kg

Food (dry) 0.62 kg

- water in food 1.15 kg

Drinking Water 1.61 kg

Cooking Water 0.79 kg

Water for washing 25.52 kg

Water for the toilet 0.49 kg

Every person also creates a bunch of waste that has to be taken care of. Here's NASA's table of how much waste a person would create each day on a space station:

Carbon Dioxide 1.00 kg

Water from Sweat

and breathing 2.28 kg

Water from Urine, etc. 1.59 kg

Water from cooking 0.04 kg

Water from washing 25.53 kg

Water for the toilet 0.49 kg

Waste Solids 0.11 kg

Since a moonbase is pretty much like a space station, we figured that these numbers were about right, or at least they were a pretty good guess for what we would need.

But before long we noticed we had several really big problems we had to figure out. Every day, we were going to use up a lot of oxygen and create a lot of carbon dioxide from our breathing. Also, we were going to use up a lot of water, and create a lot of urine and other waste. How were we going to permanently live on the moon with all this waste, and no air outside? Not only that, every month the outside temperature was hotter than boiling water for two weeks, then so cold your whiskers would crack off for the next two weeks. These were some pretty big problems all right...

How were we going to solve them?